I like asparagus; roasted is really good, steamed isn’t my favorite, but I LOVE grilled asparagus. It’s one of my most popular “go to” veggies in the summertime when we do a lot of grilling. And the best part is, grilling asparagus is so easy!!
Here’s how I do it:
- First you have to thoroughly wash the asparagus. Pay close attention to the tips because sand and dirt like to get stuck in the little shoots there at the top.
- Cut off the ends. You can either break the ends off one piece at a time, or you can take the easy route by breaking off the end of one, putting all the pieces of asparagus together and cutting the rest of the bottoms off in the same spot. If you don’t cut the bottoms off, they’re really tough and “bark”y.
- Lay the asparagus in a single layer in a grill pan. *If you don’t have a grill pan you can make one out of tin foil, but seriously you should invest in one. I got mine from Pampered Chef, but you can find them at most department stores with their grilling accessories. They’re the best – especially for grilling up veggies!!!
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the asparagus. (If you have a grill pan/basket like mine, make sure you have something under it do the oil will get all over your counter!)
- Sprinkle whatever seasoning/spices that you’d like onto the asparagus. I like to use minced garlic and a little bit of salt and pepper. I’ve also tried seasoning salt, garlic or onion powder, Southwest seasoning for a little kick… the options are endless!
- Put the grill pan/basket onto the grill over medium-high flame for 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on your asparagus though, because depending on the thickness of the stalks, they might take less or more time.
- When I take the asparagus off the grill, I like to shred a little bit of fresh parmesan cheese right over the top. Yum!!
See?? I told you it was easy!!! Happy grilling!
One of my very favorite things about the weather getting warmer is getting to grill! It’s been beautiful here the last couple of days so we took full advantage and made yummy margarita flatbread pizzas! Here’s the recipe!
- Pizza crust
- Olive oil
- Garlic, pressed/minced
- Tomato paste
- Fresh tomatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- Fresh basil, washed
- Mozzarella cheese – I like to use fresh, the kind that comes in a ball
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Asiago cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper
The “how to”/”what to do”
Pre-heat your grill to 375. Brush a little bit of olive oil on both sides of the crust and put it on the grill for 15-20 seconds on each side – I’ve found that pre made crust works best on the grill and I like to use Naan, an oven-baked flatbread. Our local Target sells it and there’s a garlic flavored one that’s great!
I made 2 types of pizza: a tomato base and an olive oil base.
- For the tomato base, combine 2 tbsp. tomato paste, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1-2 cloves of garlic (depending on preference/their size) and salt/pepper to taste.
- For the olive oil base, omit the tomato paste 🙂
Spread your base evenly over the pizza crust. Now it’s time to build your pizzas!
Start with thinly sliced tomatoes, cover the entire crust. Next comes the cheese. Slice/tear chunks of mozzarella and top the tomatoes with as much (or as little) as you would like. Top the cheese with fresh basil leaves. Finally sprinkle freshly shredded Asiago cheese across the top. I used a garlic, rosemary Asiago that was fabulous.
Transfer the pizzas onto the TOP rack of the grill. They only take a couple minutes so be sure to keep a close eye on them or the bottoms will burn quickly. If the cheese doesn’t melt as well as you would like, put the pizzas in the oven on broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
The final thing that I like to add before eating is some fresh parmesan cheese!! Yummy!!
I hope you enjoy my flatbread pizzas! If you try them out, let me know what you think! Happy grilling! 🙂