I like asparagus; roasted is really good, steamed isn’t my favorite, but I LOVE grilled asparagus. It’s one of my most popular “go to” veggies in the summertime when we do a lot of grilling. And the best part is, grilling asparagus is so easy!!
Here’s how I do it:
- First you have to thoroughly wash the asparagus. Pay close attention to the tips because sand and dirt like to get stuck in the little shoots there at the top.
- Cut off the ends. You can either break the ends off one piece at a time, or you can take the easy route by breaking off the end of one, putting all the pieces of asparagus together and cutting the rest of the bottoms off in the same spot. If you don’t cut the bottoms off, they’re really tough and “bark”y.
- Lay the asparagus in a single layer in a grill pan. *If you don’t have a grill pan you can make one out of tin foil, but seriously you should invest in one. I got mine from Pampered Chef, but you can find them at most department stores with their grilling accessories. They’re the best – especially for grilling up veggies!!!
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the asparagus. (If you have a grill pan/basket like mine, make sure you have something under it do the oil will get all over your counter!)
- Sprinkle whatever seasoning/spices that you’d like onto the asparagus. I like to use minced garlic and a little bit of salt and pepper. I’ve also tried seasoning salt, garlic or onion powder, Southwest seasoning for a little kick… the options are endless!
- Put the grill pan/basket onto the grill over medium-high flame for 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on your asparagus though, because depending on the thickness of the stalks, they might take less or more time.
- When I take the asparagus off the grill, I like to shred a little bit of fresh parmesan cheese right over the top. Yum!!
See?? I told you it was easy!!! Happy grilling!